Looking for TÚS Staff? Let us know!
Westmeath Community Development is currently seeking Community Groups around the County for TUS placements. If your community group is interested in placing a person with them, the contact details are at the end. Below you can find some information of what the TUS programme is.
Westmeath Community Development’s TUS scheme currently has 160 places. Initially, the allocation was for 100 places but this allocation was increased to 160 places in early 2014 in order to match demand from local community groups. This scheme aims to provide short term working opportunities for unemployed people, and all work that is to be carried out by TUS participants benefits their local community. Every parish in County Westmeath continues to benefit by the placement of workers in local projects.
The TUS scheme is an excellent opportunity for community groups in Westmeath who are looking for specific work to be carried out to get a worker for at least a year.
The type of projects eligible for this scheme include:
- Energy conservation work in homes and community buildings
- Social care of all age groups and people with disabilities
- Caretaking, securing, supervising of community buildings and spaces
- Renovation of community and sporting facilities and sporting spaces
- Work in support of cultural and heritage activities
- Community administration and community event management
- Coaching for sporting activities
- Repair of equipment for the Third World – for example, farm tools, bicycles, computers, sewing machines, health equipment
Groups interested in carrying out work in any of the areas below are asked to contact any of the TUS supervisors on 044-9348571 (Mullingar office) or Ph: 090 64 16121 (Athlone office)
Eligible candidates for the TUS scheme must have been continuously unemployed for at least 12 months and signing on a full-time basis; and must be currently in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance. Candidates can either self- refer by contacting Westmeath Community Development or will be selected by the local Department of Social Protection.