Audit of Community Approach to Childhood Obesity/ Overweight programme – Research project
The prevalence of overweight and obesity is increasing worldwide amongst both adults and children and has been described as a ‘global epidemic’ (WHO 2003). Excess weight in childhood can have serious health consequences in both childhood and adult life. A community service has been set up to address this issue in children in counties Laois, Offaly, Longford and Westmeath. This is collaboration between the community nutrition and dietetic service and WCDL. This research project will look at how effective this service is as a community approach to the treatment of childhood obesity/overweight.
The researcher will carry out the following tasks:
- Review relevant literature
- Review records and collate pertinent information
- Develop a database and input data using SPSS
- Analyse data and formulate results and conclusions in consultation with supervisors
- Make recommendations based on results and relevant literature.
- Draft article and circulate for comments.
- Amend as necessary depending on referees comments and suggestions until article is accepted for publication.
- Make final adjustments depending on referees and editor comments and submit for publication. Prepare poster for submission to pre-agreed conference.
- Write up, submit for publication and have published an article in a pre-agreed journal
The researcher will liaise with WCDL and the Community Nutrition & Dietetic service on a regular basis with regards to progress with the project.
- Degree in Human Nutrition & Dietetics form DIT/TCD or equivalent.
- Registered as self employed (evidence required)
- Professional indemnity insurance (evidence required)
- Evidence of project management experience
- Evidence of good time management
- Proficient in use of SPSS and access to same
Enquires to: Dorothy Loane (086-0280553 / firstname.lastname@example.org) Senior Community Dietitians, Community Nutrition & Dietetic Service, Primary Care Unit, St. Loman’s Hospital, Mullingar.
Starting date: July 2016
Application: Tenders to be submitted to Frank Murtagh, Assistant CEO, WCDL, C/O ACT, Ball Alley Lane, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
Closing Date for tender submission: Friday 10th June, 5pm